Many people think that disk jockeys (DJs) are musicians, and many think they are not musicians. However, it is possible to see that DJs are officially musicians.
Combining the definitions of ‘disk jockey,’ ‘musician,’ and ‘perform’ shows that a disk jockey (DJ) is a musician.
The first section of this post explains why a DJ is a musician, and the second section gives a second view about it. After that, there are some misunderstandings about why some people see DJs not as musicians, with some possible causes. Furthermore, there are three related questions and some closing words.
Explanation about Why a DJ Is a Musician
By combining the definitions of ‘disk jockey,’ ‘musician,’ and ‘perform,’ we can determine that a DJ is a musician. These definitions are:
- Disk jockey: one who plays recorded music for dancing at a nightclub or party.
- Musician: a composer, conductor, or performer of music.
- Perform: to entertain people by dancing, singing, acting, or playing music.
We can find those words in multiple dictionaries, and the definitions of those words vary a bit, which can be confusing. The more definitions there are of a word, the looser the meaning is of that word. Furthermore, the reason why I choose these definitions from those dictionaries is that they are the most correct, in my opinion.
When we have read the three definitions, then we can see why a DJ is a musician, which I explain here a bit more. A musician is a performer of music, and a form of performing is to entertain people by playing music. So, a DJ is a musician because he or she plays recorded music for dancing at a nightclub or party.
There is still a chance that you think that the information given here is false or something like that. If you think like that, I suggest also reading the next section, which gives us a second view that a DJ is a musician.
A Second View
Here I show another view of the fact that DJs are musicians. The main reason for this second view is that it is easy to think that the three words with definitions above are just some lucky picks or incorrect.
There are three words with definitions that make the second view. These definitions come from the online Oxford Dictionaries, and are:
- Disc jockey: a person who introduces and plays recorded popular music, especially on radio or at a disco.
- Musician: a person who plays a musical instrument, especially as a profession, or is musically talented.
- Instrument: an object or device for producing musical sounds.
Also here, with the three definitions we can see two reasons why a DJ is a musician:
- A typical instrument of a DJ is a turntable that he or she can use to produce musical sounds, and these sounds can be hearable on speakers.
- If a DJ is musically talented is opinion based, but everyone can name him talented, including the DJ himself.
Misunderstandings about Why DJs Are Not Musicians
This section may be a bit strange since I tried to find and remember why people think DJ is not a musician. However, this section could help better understand why a DJ is a musician and why many people think that fact is not true.
I have heard and read many strange statements about why DJs are not musicians, and I can remember only a few of those. Those statements are listed here, and I tried to explain each of them with why they are strange:
- “DJing is not musically skillful/talented, because it is just pressing some knobs to play music.” Very strange to answer since it is the same as saying, “Playing the violin is easy because it is just rubbing a bow on strings.” Plus, we can be musicians without being musically talented.
- “He or she creates bad/too simple music.” A DJ doesn’t create music, but a producer does create music. A person can have both roles as a DJ and as a producer, but not all DJs are also producers.
- “He or she doesn’t play an instrument.” A typical instrument of a DJ is a turntable. Plus, we can be musicians without playing an instrument.
- “He or she doesn’t compose or conduct music.” A DJ doesn’t also fly a plane (sorry with a wink). We can be a musician without composing or conducting music.
Possible Causes for the Misunderstandings
I don’t know if it is possible to understand precisely why a person doesn’t understand something. However, here I tried to list some possible causes for the strange statements above, which are that some people:
- Don’t know what a DJ or a musician is.
- Don’t like DJs or musicians, so it becomes fun for some people to say bad things about them.
- Not reading the definitions of DJ or musician good enough, or confusing the words in the definitions. For example, “A musician is a conductor or performer of music.” is not the same as “A musician is a conductor and performer of music.”. The difference between these two sentences is the “or” and the “and.”
How to know if a DJ is a musician? Not possible to answer, because when someone is a DJ, then he or she is also directly a musician. So, we only have to find out if someone is a DJ. If we combine the definitions of disk jockey, musician, and instrument, then we can see that this answer is correct.
When is a DJ a musician? Always. When someone is a DJ, then he or she is also directly a musician. If we combine the definitions of disk jockey, musician, and instrument, then we can see that this answer is correct.
Is a DJ a performer? Yes, because a form of performing is to entertain people by playing music, and a DJ plays recorded music for dancing. If we combine the definitions of disk jockey, musician, and perform, then we can see that this answer is correct.
We can combine the definitions of the words disc jockey and musician with the definitions of other words, to see that a DJ is a musician. Furthermore, there are some misunderstandings about why some people think that DJs are not musicians, with some possible causes. At last, there are some related questions to the topic of this post.
If you like this post, then you may want to look at some posts in the lifestyle part, since this post is also part of it.
Hopefully, you have learned something about the fact that a DJ is a musician. Also, when you know someone who likes to know more about the fact that a DJ is a musician, then feel free to share this post. Additionally, do you have your explanation about why a DJ is a musician?